Healing Solutions Counseling Center is proud to partner with Shute Equestrian to provide equine-assisted psychotherapy (EAP) and equine-assisted learning (EAL) using the world famous EAGALA model.
What makes EAGALA so incredibly effective and unique include the following:
- It is a ground-based model, thus all work done with the horses is on the ground. Horses are free to move within the environment as they need or want and the people involved in the session will do so as well. There is no riding involved so prior riding or horse experience is not necessary.
- There are two people facilitating the process. In addition to the horses and other materials in the arena or area being utilized, there will be two people facilitating the process. One of these is the therapist. The other is an equine specialist. Both of these individuals function as a team and have very specific responsibilities.
- The EAGALA model is solution-oriented. Therefore, the focus of this process is to develop solutions and movement towards tangible goals and objectives. Further, we believe that participants have the knowledge and solutions within themelves. We (and the horses) simply help you to discover them. Whether you decide to use the horses for individual, couple, or family counseling, this model will get you closer to experiencing a higher level of peak performance and will significantly contribute to you reaching your ultimate potential.
- Eagala practitioners demonstrate and are held accountable for following a written code of ethics.
What types of issues can equine-assisted psychotherapy and learning be used for:
Simply put, equine-assisted psychotherapy and learning can be effective with anything that is being treated in an office or other clinical setting. As a therapist, I (Dr. Mike Howard) have been amazed by the effectiveness and impact that EAP and EAL can have. I wish I had discovered this work when I first started - more than 20 years ago. Examples of the things we can treat include the following:
- Couple issues
- Life transition issues
- Combat stress
- eating disorders
- Couple & family communication
- Intimacy and attachment issues
To learn more about our amazing equine specialist, Jennifer Shute-Murphy and the incredible team at Shute Equestrian, go to www.shuteequestrian.com
Watch the following videos:
EAGALA Model Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy for the Military - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVatiz-55g
EAGALA in Practice Video Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drm_vK5deFs
EAGALA in Practice Video Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQodonI_USs
Don't wait another minute. Call us today to learn more about how we use horses and even a donkey to help people heal. Call Dr. Mike Howard now at 910-388-7520 or email him at Mike@CharlotteTherapy.com.